Friday, April 26, 2013

FAT


Today at (home)school Trinity, my 4 year old, was working on learning to read. We were working on the iPad when her next word came up. The letters came up F...A...T. "Fat!Just like you, Mommy" she yelled. She immediately froze in her tracks. "I am sorry I said that to you, Mommy" she said. I just sat there silent for a moment because I didn't want to overreact. I closed my eyes and the Lord reminded me that this week in church they were learning about forgiveness. I told her that I forgave her and encouraged her to use her words wisely. 

I was CRUSHED!! I felt like I was back in middle school again getting teased. This time is was different though. It was my own daughter, who is 4 years old. Then I got to thinking. Was she wrong? Don't get me wrong, I am not going to allow her to run around calling people names, but was she really wrong? Yes, she was disrespectful to me which I don't agree with. However, I am FAT. I am choosing to change that but still, I am FAT. 

Growing up, any time I said that I was fat I was immediately scolded. " Don't say that about yourself. That's not true!" Really people? I have been morbidly obese as long as I can remember. Did you really think that if I didn't say it out loud, that I would just forget it existed? Lately childhood obesity has really been weighing heavily on my heart. We need to do something. Pretending the problem does't exist is not fixing anything. Maybe God has plans, somehow, for me to help the "fat kids" *shrugs*

No comments:

Post a Comment